Fire Instructor, Inspector and Investigator Recertification
As stated in the Division of Fire Safety Certification Policy and Procedures Manual, all Fire Service Instructor I and II, Fire Inspector I, and Fire Investigator Certification levels expire three years from the certification date or from date of recertification.
Before the recertification date, notification of the approaching expiration will be sent to the individual's home address on record. It is the individual’s responsibility to supply the division with the current home address.
In the event an individual does not submit the required documentation for recertification, his or her certification status will be revoked. In order to regain certification, that individual must successfully complete an approved course for the appropriate level, including passing scores on the written course exam and practical skills. Individuals must meet all requirements for certification, including but not limited to passing the certification exam in order to qualify for certification.
Submit your application and supporting documentation by mail to: Division of Fire Safety, Attn: Kim Becker, PO Box 844, Jefferson City, MO 65102, or by fax to (573) 751-1744, or email your recertification paperwork to Training@dfs.dps.mo.gov.
All applicants for recertification are required to complete the following criteria in order to renew certification:
- Complete and submit the Recertification Application
- Summary of how his or her duties over the past three years reflect his or her current certification level.
Applicants for recertification for any level of Fire Service Instructor must also submit:
- Documentation of 24 hours additional training related to instructional areas. For every hour of verifiable instruction of a certificated course in either: a fire academy, educational institution, or National Fire Academy, or documented in-service training, you will receive one hour of credit, not to exceed 12 hours of credit. A minimum of 12 hours of training must come from instructional development courses or seminars attended.
Applicants for recertification for Fire Inspector must also submit:
- Documentation of 30 hours of training as a student or instructor, or any combination, in fire inspection related courses or seminars. All courses or seminars are subject to approval by the Division of Fire Safety. A letter from the applicant's supervisor listing applicant’s job description and attesting to the fact that the duty of the applicant is in the field of fire inspections is also required.
Applicants for recertification for Fire Investigator must also submit:
- Documentation of 30 hours of training as a student or instructor, or any combination, in fire investigation related courses or seminars. All courses or seminars are subject to approval by the Division of Fire Safety. A letter from the applicant's supervisor listing applicant’s job description and attesting to the fact that the primary duty of the applicant is in the field of fire investigations is also required. The supervisor must verify the number of fires that the applicant has investigated during the three year period.