Licensing Individuals Responsible for Public Displays
Effective Aug. 28, 2004, Missouri State Statue (RSMO. 320.126.4) was passed requiring all fireworks displays shall be supervised, managed, or directed by a Missouri licensed operator or pyrotechnic operator on site. Operators must be approved and licensed by the division of Fire Safety. A special display permit can not be issued until a licensed operator is identified.
Licensed Operator and Pyrotechnic Operator
Licensed Operator is any person who supervises, manages, or directs the discharge of outdoor display fireworks, either by manual or electrical means; who has met additional requirements established by promulgated rule and has successfully completed a display fireworks training course and examination recognized and approved by the state fire marshal.
Pyrotechnic Operator or Special Effects Operator is defined as "an individual who has responsibility for pyrotechnic safety and who controls, initiates, or otherwise creates special effects for proximate fireworks and who has met additional requirements established by promulgated rules and has successfully completed a proximate fireworks training course and examination recognized and approved by the state fire marshal."
Training and Testing
- Submit a completed Application for licensed Operator/Pyrotechnic Operator license;
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age;
- Have successfully completed a display and/or proximate training course approved by the State Fire Marshal;
- Successfully pass an examination administered by the Missouri division of Fire Safety;
- Provide documentation affirming active participation in the performance of at least three display or proximate fireworks shows within the past 24 months; If applying for both a licensed operator (outdoor) and pyrotechnic operator license (indoor and/or outdoor) documentation of six displays (three outdoor and three indoor) are required;
- Applicant shall not have pleaded guilty to a felony or been convicted of a felony;
- Copy of US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives permit/license verifying compliance with applicable federal laws relating to possession, sales, storage or use of display and/or proximate fireworks if applicable;
- Copy of a valid state driver's license or state ID card;
- Provide two passport type photographs;
- A check or money order, or bank draft in the amount of $100 (US) payable to the Missouri division of Fire Safety.